Friday, March 4, 2016

The Top 10 List that turned into a Top 15 List

Susanne is your driver for this post.

So far we've spent far more time thinking about the RV itself than where, specifically, we'd like to go - although a plan is starting to materialize.

Today I spent some time brainstorming the places I really, really want to see. Here they are in no particular order of preference:

1. Yellowstone National Park - I'm a geologist who studies volcanoes and I've never been here! Talk about absurd. I think September would be a fantastic time to visit - after the glut of summer tourists leave but before it gets cold.

2. Austin, TX - A few years ago I spent a couple of days here for a conference, but I didn't get to see much of the city. I've heard so many good things about this town... And bonus, several of my friends live here! I anticipate good food, good music, and good company.

3. Glacier National Park - This is one of the McDowell family's favorite spots and one we've visited several times. It never gets old. It's just incredibly beautiful. Last summer we trekked up to Avalanche Lake on one day; on another day, we took a half-day hike that seemed easy enough until a storm rushed in and hit us with sleet and lightening. I was terrified; my son thought it was the best adventure ever.

Avalanche Lake

A view from the Hidden Lake trail near Logan Pass

4. Crater Lake National Park: I've been wanting to visit Crater Lake for years. First, it has a violent volcanic past - exactly the sort of thing that captures my attention. Second, the caldera lake looks gorgeous. 

5. Nashville. Because that's where we lived for several years, and even though it's grown at an alarming rate, even though a lot of the historical neighborhoods are being replaced by shiny-looking towers and fancy houses, and even though the traffic is atrocious, it hasn't lost its Nashville feel. Family, friends, amazing food - yeah. 


6. Seattle! My brother and his family live here and we've visited a few times - but we never seem to have quite enough time there. Also... Mount Rainier. And Mt. St. Helens. I just want all the volcanoes.


7. Vancouver Island: One of my long-time online friends (hi Naomi!) is an artist who lives here and owns a guest house. I've always wanted to visit her, see her artwork in person, and walk around her beautiful garden.

8. Washington, D.C.: Another place I've visited but haven't spent enough time exploring. I feel like this would be a fantastic place to spend several weeks in the fall. We could museum hop: I want to see the Smithsonian, the Air and Space Museum, and several others. We have family who live in the area, and DC would be a good place to meet up.

9. The Florida Keys and pretty much any Florida beach: I am a sucker for sand and fruity drinks with an extra shot of rum. Save me a campsite in the area during the months of December and January.

10. Wine country in California: Wine. Need I explain more? Also, it's kind of a dream of mine to eat at The French Laundry

11. (Oops. I'm getting a little carried away.) The Grand Tetons: Because it looks gorgeous.

12. Anywhere in Arizona. I love Arizona. I love the desert, I love the saguaros, I love the food, I love the red rocks, I even love Phoenix when it isn't too smoggy. I spent a lot of time in AZ for my dissertation research, so I'm pretty attached to it.

Near Bullhead City, AZ

I'M ON A ROLL! I CAN'T STOP!

13. Monument Valley: On the list because Trent and I drove through here when he was working on his Master's degree project, and I have memories of driving past red rocks at sunset. 

14. Big Bend, Texas: I've spent very little time in Texas, so I didn't know much about Big Bend until my friend Lauren raved about it. It looks beautiful - and geologically fascinating. You've made the short list, Big Bend! Congratulations!

15. Hot Springs, NC and the southern Appalachian mountains: We've had weekend trips to the Appalachians and I always leave feeling as though I've only scraped the surface of what there is to see and do. I'd love to stay here for several weeks (maybe in the late spring), hike, and hang out in Hot Springs, one of our favorite little towns.

I'm going to ask Trent to make a Top Whatever list before he reads this so that we can compare notes. And then we'll ask Sam what he wants to do, but I'm pretty sure it's going to involve the beach and Legoland. Or Hawaii, but that's a bit problematic in an RV.

P.S. Also Yosemite. And Bandelier National Monument, Chaco Culture National Monument, Craters of the Moon, and Portland.

I'm done now.

No comments: