Sunday, August 7, 2016

Working from an RV

Trent will be your driver for today's post.  Susanne and I both earn a living online.  This post is about how I get my work done from an RV.


The key is an unlimited data plan ($45/month) with Verizon in a Jetpack.  The Jetpack pulls in the Verizon service and produces a WiFI signal we can use for work and play (Netflix). We use way too much data to just tether to a normal cell phone data plan. We don't park the RV anywhere without a Verizon signal.



I don't have a specific place I work in the RV.  However, I probably work from our kitchen/livingroom table the majority of the time. I tend to work here if Sam and Susanne are out on an adventure, sleeping, or in their own spaces. This location is good but I have to give it up if they are homeschooling, eating, or if Sam or Susanne are working on their businesses. I also just like to switch up my work locations to keep things interesting and to change my sitting/typing position during the day.




Sometimes I have to do audio recordings for work. For this task I to go to the mobile recording studio (i.e., the car). The acoustics of the car are surprisingly good; the windows allow me to look out while also keeping the tweets of the natives from being picked up by my microphone.




I've also recently started using the passenger's seat in the RV. This is turning out of be a fairly ideal location because it's an otherwise unused space, it's not in anyone's way, and it's comfortable. I've also started working outside a bit more at the provide tables. One major downside to both is they tend to get hot by the afternoon. Outside in Texas gets hot in August (shocker) and the front of the cab isn't tied into the RV AC system. So I have to remember to move from both spaces before I overheat. I'm looking forward to cooler weather because these two spaces will be great more of the time.








Sometime I also just need to get out, give Sam and Susanne more space, or get a little more separation from home and work when I have a big task and really need to concentrate. I thought for times like these I would end at places like Panera or Starbucks but instead I have just been going to the community buildings at campgrounds. They are surprisingly underused and often really quiet. A bonus is that sometimes the WiFi there is good enough that I can leave the Jetpack at home for Susanne and Sam to use.



I get most of this work done using my 15 inch Macbook pro, my mouse, and a good cheap pair of headphones for audio work/music. Have questions about getting work done in an RV? Leave a comment or email us at: nomadicmcdowells@gmail.com

No comments: