Saturday, July 2, 2016

Meals on the Road: RV Oatmeal

A really kind person on Instagram (yes, we have an Instagram account! Follow us!) asked me if I would post recipes for some of the vegan/plant-based meals that I prepare. I thought I'd start with one of my current breakfast staples: RV oatmeal! It's sweet. It's tasty. It will keep you full until - if you are anything like me - second breakfast rolls around.

Keep in mind that all of these recipes are meant to be super simple, mostly unprocessed, and easy to make on the road. Many of them rely on, yes, the microwave. I like tasty, healthy, pretty food... but I'm not very good at preparing complicated meals. You'll have to look elsewhere for those. ;-) 


Ingredients required for 1 serving of RV oatmeal:
-1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (not the quick-cooking kind)
-1/2 cup milk of your choice - I recommend almond or soy milk
-1/4 cup water
-Fruit of your choice! I like to select 2-3 types of whatever is in season; I usually include a banana.
-2 tbsp nuts or seeds of your choice
-Sweetener of your choice: drizzle of honey or agave or a sprinkle of sugar

Instructions:
1. In a microwave-safe glass container, stir together the oatmeal, milk, and water.
2. Place the container in the microwave and heat on high for 2 1/2 minutes. Keep an eye on it and stop the microwave if the mixture threatens to spill over.
3. Take the oatmeal out of the microwave and let it sit for a couple of minutes. This will allow it to thicken a bit. Then pour it into a bowl.
4. Top with cut fruit, seeds, and a small bit of sweetener (if you have ripe fruit in season, you won't need much additional sweetener).
5. Enjoy while admiring the view!



No comments: