Friday, July 29, 2016

More important / Less important

Trent will be your driver for this post.

Moving into an RV has been a change but, for me, it’s not as big of a change as you might expect. Since 2007 I have been working remotely. I haven’t needed to live anywhere in particular. I really haven’t felt attached to any place since Montana and that attachment is about nature not people. Leaving Indiana, the last place we lived, was easy. What has changed is some things have become more important and some things have become less important.

More important:

Quarters: I haven’t carried about coins in a long time. We paid with plastic everywhere we could. We just dropped whatever coins we ended up with in an old coffee tin. Now I search for quarters, I would be happy to get quarters, and I keep them in a special place. Laundry mats will do that to a person.

Flip-flops: I don’t particular like flip-flops. They are not great for going off the pavement, they aren’t good for speed, and the noise they make is somewhat annoying. However, we go in and out of the RV so often that putting on shoes and socks every time would be a pain. I bought a pair for 99 cents that lasted over a month and was happy to upgrade to a $9.99 pair when the super cheap pair finally broke.

Waste management: Unless there was a need for a plunger, waste management was something I thought about once a week at trash time before we moved into the RV. Now, I think about it daily. We have to make sure we don’t fill up the tanks before dumping them and our tiny kitchen trash can has to be emptied almost daily.



Less important:  

TV:  It’’s not that I wouldn’t watch it if I could but in the RV if I watch the TV everyone else can hear it. In our old house, I could watch with headphones on when Susanne and Sam were in other rooms. Now I’ll catch an over-the-air MASH or Gilligan's Island every once in a while but TV has become much less of a thing.


Mail: We don’t go to the mailbox daily any more to see what’s in it. We don’t get daily mail wherever we park the RV. At best, we get the mail maybe once a month. Mail is something I think about every few weeks now.

Local news: Since I was a newspaper boy in the 80’s I’ve always followed the local news. Everywhere I have ever lived, I’ve read the local paper. I thought about doing that in the RV by reading the local online news for wherever we were parked but that didn’t last very long. Now I just briefly review a major Texas newspaper but I hardly keep up with it.

No comments: